Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Thought of the Day- 23 January 2007

The Persecution Factor
Being here in Hong Kong, a few hour plane ride away from some of the "hot spots" of Christian persecution, I can't help but think about pain and persecution as it relates to me. I guess it doesn't help that I am studying Philippians either. As I think, and even type this now, questions are racing through my head. Why is it that I am so afraid to hurt? Why is it that I value my physical comfort more than the Gospel of Christ? Why do I say 'yes' to sin and chose not to think on things above? Why is it that as a culture we seek the blessings of God but we don't seek the priviledge of suffering for Him? What am I living for? Who am I living for? Why am I so selfish?

And on, and on, and on....

I desire to be raw. I desire the priviledge of believing and suffering for Christ. I desire to boast in my weakness. I desire the Gospel of a dirty, hurting man/God. I crave reality!

Perhaps what I need is not the shelter of the church walls but the damp cold of a jail cell. Not the warm hug of a brother but the blow of an accuser. Not the approval of the church but the filling of the Spirit.

Who are you? What do you need?
Persecution

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Wow Brandon, This reminds me of Maggie...even though she lives in persecution she still prayed to God to punish her so she can learn from her sins...talk about bold. Honestly...it would take a lot for me to be that bold and I can worship him freely?