Thursday, February 8, 2007

Thought of the Yesterday

Old Geezer cont...

So like I was saying.

4th Platform- Two words, Youth Pastor! This is the spiritual giant that oversees those who dwell on the third platform. The youth pastor is okay with this though, because in order to gain access to the next level he must deal with those on the bottom four. Besides, every pastor must pay his dues to outgrow the 4th level!

5th Platform- Three words, Tired Youth Pastor (aka. Senior/Assistant Pastor). Gentlemen and Ladies (in certain denominations) when you have reached this level you "have arrived!" At this level you determine what is sin and not sin (based on your popularity and ability to produce a television show), you determine where the church's money is spent, you go play golf on a regular basis, you hear more clearly from God, and you can now handle sin that you weren't able to previously. Oh yeah, you also get to yell at the kids who are running through the church's halls because hey, everyone knows kids shouldn't be running in the House of God...After all, God doesn't like happy kids!

6th Platform- If one were to search for this platform they would find it right next to the right hand of God where Jesus is chill'n! This is where the televangelists, evangelists, Apostles, Mother Teresa, and Billy Graham are...and Mary, if your Catholic, is living right next door. This is where all the pastors on the 5th platform get their sermons. One can only get to this level by invitation (or by being perfect...Mother Teresa). At this level one can cuss someone out and it would be seen as a blessing! They can drink excessive amounts of wine and it would be called communion....pretty much, they are the sinless ones!

So there you have it....the 7 levels of Christianity! I have shown you how to climb the ladder and what is expected of you at each stop along the way. So keep climbing and some day YOU WILL ARRIVE!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
"Brandon....Brandon.....Brandon...Brandon!"
"HUH? What?"
"Are you Okay?"
"Oh, I think I was having a nightmare"

I just painted a pretty ridiculous picture of Christian maturity don't you think? Don't you? Hello! Don't you think that is ridiculous?

Unfortunately, our answer is being drowned out by our lifestyle! The picture I just painted is exactly how many, if not most, Christians in the western world are living out their faith. It is as if we are climbing a ladder of Spiritual maturity, as if there is a spiritual hiearchy that seperates the church and defines what one should do, and it is as if we are creating a group of self righteous people who have forgotten where they have come from.

Perhaps the term I have used and is used completely too much in the church is "I have arrived". Warning: I understand that in this next thing I write I am going to be stepping on some toes...oh well.
For example:
"I have arrived at a point that I am perfectly content being single."
or
"I have arrived at a point that violence doesn't affect me"
or
"I have arrived at a point that I can watch/listen to those groups again"

We act as if spiritual maturity equals our arrival at some point! We are seriously deceived.

Come back tomorrow as I continue "Old Geezers"....becoming a Mature Christian vs. Old Christian

Once Again: Please no hate comments until you let me finish.

No comments: