Friday, June 27, 2008

Grace in Forgiveness

I have often said, "I forgive you," but even as I said these words my
heart remained angry and resentful. I still wanted to hear the story
that tells me that I was right after all; I still wanted to hear apologies
and excuses; I still wanted the satisfaction of receiving some praise in
return- if only the praise for being so forgiving! But God's forgiveness
is unconditional; it comes from a heart that does not demand anything
for itself, a heart that is completely empty of self-seeking. It is this divine
forgiveness that I have to practice in my daily life. It calls me to keep
stepping over all my arguments that say forgiveness is unwise, unhealthy,
and impractical. It challenges me to step over all my needs for gratitude
and compliments. Finally, it demands of me that I step over that wounded
part of my heart that feels hurt and wronged and that wants to stay in
control and put a few conditions between me and the one whom I am asked
to forgive.

-Henri Nouwen

(excerpt from Phillip Yancey's What's So Amazing About Grace? - Visual Edition)

I will posting more excerpts from this book over the next week. Truth and revelation are so beautiful.

Grace in Forgiveness

No comments: